Date of Publication: 01 May 2019
Are you joining us this year on one of our 2019 summer schools? We want you to be as prepared as possible for our courses, so it's important to plan ahead with Oxford Summer Courses' pre-course arrangements and packing list.
There are some key details which need to be in place prior to you even departing for the UK – just think of how you’ll feel when the British sunshine decides to show itself and you’ve left your Aviator sunglasses at home!
If necessary, ensure you have your key travel documents and materials in place, and then make sure you have what you need for your stay with us.
One can never predict the British weather accurately (even in summer). The sunshine is not guaranteed, and rain is never avoidable. Our first piece of advice is to pack clothing suitable for both warm and cool weather.
Campus life is casual, and this is the typical student dress code during the day. Evening events may require slightly dressier attire such as skirts or dresses, and trousers and shirts.
On our website, we provide two-week timetables per age group which detail what a typical day will look like and what is included on each day. You can find these on your chosen subject page.
Also, pre-course information will be sent out prior to the course start date with further information. Please consult these materials, or contact us if you are still unsure, to think about what you might need.
Pre-course checklist – What to get:
- Cash/ATM cards – Get GBP currency in advance of your trip and save what you can on the exchange rate.
- Electronic chargers – If you are bringing any electronic devices with you, make sure you have a British standard plug socket adaptor.
- Mobile phone and laptop/tablet – Students are encouraged to bring their own computer if they have one that is easy to pack. Don’t forget your mobile phone as this will be needed as a form of direct contact. Besides, how else will you snap that perfect selfie on the lawn of an Oxford University college?
- Passport and other travel documents – You will need your passport if you are travelling from overseas to the UK. You may also need a visa – please check on the UK visa government website. As Oxford Summer Courses is accredited by the British Accreditation Council as a short course provider, please apply for a short-term study visa. You can apply for this visa 90 days before your arrival and we will send supporting letters to all students that need it 100 days before the course start date.
- Medications – If you require medications, do not forget them!
**Please note: We send out a Key Information From 8 weeks prior to the course start dates to capture medical and dietary requirements. Always get directly in touch if you want to be sure.
What to expect from us and when:
8 weeks to go: We’ll send out a ‘key info’ form to collect any medical and dietary requirements. We’ll also send a travel form to find out how you’ll be travelling to the UK.
4 weeks to go: Four weeks before your arrival we will send you a full welcome pack by email with information about your course and what to expect.
3 weeks to go: We’ll send info about our airport transfer and make sure you know exactly who you’ll be meeting, where and when as soon as you arrive.
10 days to go: Getting close! You’ll be sent a student handbook which will contain lots more course information, including an introduction from your Course Director. You’ll find out the address of your college (very useful if you’re being dropped off) and where to head on your arrival day. If your tutor has set any pre-course reading or work, then we will send this out too.
3 days to go: We’ll confirm your arrival details to check that nothing has changed.
On Arrival: You made it! Hooray! When you arrive, you’ll receive your full timetable, student lanyard and some Oxford Summer Courses goodies to get your started on your course.
This year, we are offering a free airport transfer service within certain hours on your arrival and departure days. It will be running from 8am to 3pm on the first Sunday of your arrival and from 4.30am to 12pm for your departure on the Saturday (to meet flights departing from 9am to 6pm).
Make sure you know who you will be meeting and where to find us on arrival. We will also be sending out a form to collect flight details about 6 weeks before the start of the course.
If you have any doubts, do contact us and we will be happy to help answer any questions which you may have.
What to pack:
We know this is something that lots of students are worried about, so please take a look at the packing list we have curated below:
What to expect:
- Photography/videography – Whilst you’re having the time of your life, we’ll be capturing it all on camera so you can take your memories home with you.
- Contests and competitions – Expect hidden treasures and prizes for the best snaps – but don’t forget to tag us: @oxfordsummercourses
- International community – Students from all cultures, backgrounds and languages will join us this summer. Embrace the highly international group, relax and learn with students from around the world.
- Student help – Friendly pastoral staff members await your arrival! Many of whom are current or former Oxford/Cambridge students. They’re open to chat, help and answer any questions which you may have.
One final thing to remind you of – get social! Tell your friends where you are and what you’re doing on social media leading up to your arrival and during your time with us.
We cannot wait to welcome you on to our courses this summer. We truly believe an academic course is the best setting for a great summer, just ensure you are well equipped for the academic adventure.
See you there!
Have more questions about the summer courses? Contact our Student Ambassadors to find out more about their on-course experiences.