University Guidance Tours
Why choose our University Guidance Tour?
At University Guidance Tours we are passionate about helping you navigate and understand the UK university system. Attend our course and gain the skills and knowledge necessary to make an informed and competitive application to high quality UK universities. Spend a week with us on our carefully designed course and you will:
- Visit nine top UK universities and meet current students
- Attend information sessions hosted by university admissions officers
- Live on university campuses in student accomodation
- Understand how school grades relate to UK university landscape and UCAS system with the help of our experienced guidance counsellors
- Take part in personal statement writing workshops
- Know and make lasting friendships with other international students from all over the world
We are a team of highly experienced university guidance counsellors with an intimate understanding of the UK university landscape.
Attend one of our tours and receive specialist advice tailored to your aspirations, subject interest and university preferences, our experienced counsellors will:
- Work with you to target the universities that best suit your academic profile
- Help you understand the differences between studying and living in each university
- Explain how the UCAS [Universities and Colleges Admissions Service] application system works
- Work on your own personal development to help you make the most of your talents, with interactive workshops focussed on:
- Writing effective personal statements
- Career guidance
Our tours are also designed carefully to ensure that you get the most out of your time with us and do not simply visit the location of the university but:
- Meet current students who will answer any questions you have about life as a student there
- Meet admissions departments of the universities for private talks aimed at your interests
- Stay in student rooms to get a feel for whether you would like to study and live there
We limit places on our tours to 30 students, so you will get more interaction with your counsellors. As a result you will have the tools necessary to make a successful application to a university which:
- You feel comfortable in
- Suits your subject interest and profile
- Has a course and location that excites you
Experience & Schedule
ARRIVAL TO LONDON
You will arrive at our centrally located campus accommodation at
King’s College London to meet your group for the week – all like you,
prospective international students of UK universities.
After the orientation session you will have a relaxing evening getting to know everyone
On Monday we visit three universities in London.
Depending on the subjects you are interested in we will go to King’s College, UCL, LSE and Imperial, some of the top universities in the world. As well as visiting the campuses we will meet and talk with current students and visit the admissions office so you get a real sense of what studying there will be like.
BRISTOL AND BATH UNIVERSITIES
Bristol is a redbrick university located throughout in a number of locations across the city of Bristol and is a member of the research intensive Russell Group of universities. It is often ranked in the top 50 universities globally. After a talk from the admissions department we move onto Bath, a modern campus university with particular strengths in science and engineering.
Bristol and Bath
Another Russell Group university, Exeter has risen rapidly in the league tables and is now consistently ranked amongst the top 10 in the UK. It is also located in the lovely Cathedral city of Exeter. We will have a private talk from the international office of the university to help you understand how international students can make a competitive application to a top UK university..
OXFORD BROOKES UNIVERSITY,
On day four you arrive in Oxford and settle down for the rest of the tour with comfortable accommodation in one of the many beautiful colleges of Oxford University. As well as Oxford University, depending on your subject interests, we offer options to visit nearby Oxford Brookes University and Reading University. That evening there is an optional shopping trip to Bicester Village or a chance to relax.
Oxford and Reading
WARWICK UNIVERSITY OR
Depending on your subject interest we will then either visit Warwick University or the world famous Cambridge University.
Warwick or Cambridge
Friday evening and Saturday are spent in personal development with individual sessions from our university guidance experts working on your personal statement and with talks from our experts on the UCAS system and future careers options.
TIME FOR FUN
We make time for fun too – with optional visit to world famous heritage sites in Bath, Exeter and Warwick, a shopping trip to the renowned Bicester Village and a memorable three course ‘formal hall’ Oxford College dinner on your final night – bidding farewell to your new friends before heading back home on Sunday.
During the week you will keep a journal of your experiences and after all your university visits are over you will take part in our tailored programme of workshops which will focus on the following topics:
- Understand the UK university system – look at the differences in campus, collegiate, traditional and modern universities and analyse the benefits of each for you
- Consider your options and subject choices – your motivation and personal preference and where may these choices take you in your future career
- Introduction to the UCAS application system – work through the process of making an application and understand the application timetable
- Interactive workshop on how to write an outstanding personal statement
These sessions are led by experienced university guidance counsellors with experience in both A-Levels and International Baccalaureate. We will be challenging you to make a competitive application and you will need to come motivated to learn and understand how to improve your application and chances of gaining a place at a competitive university.
Campus universities are spread over a large, secure central campus, and are often located slightly outside of the main city.
- Bath University
- Oxford Brookes University
- Warwick University
- Reading University
- Exeter University
Collegiate universities are made up of a number of smaller colleges (around 30) which are located across the city in which the university is located. Each college has its own character and feel.
- Oxford University
- Cambridge University
CITY CENTRE UNIVERSITIES
City centre universities often do not have a single central campus but their buildings are located throughout the city.
- Bristol University
- Kings College, London
- University College, London
- London School of Economics
- Imperial College
In each university you will tour the campus or university area, meet student ambassadors and talk to admissions departments gaining valuable knowledge of how each university works and the differences between them.
We will not simply be visiting the universities though. By staying in London, Bath, Exeter and Oxford you will experience city centre, collegiate and campus style accommodation and really understand whether this is the style of university for you.
Prices and Dates
Our 2018 University Guidance Course will be running for ages 16-17 on the following dates:
- 1st July to 8th July
- 15th July to 22nd July
Included in the price is:
- Accommodation, breakfast, lunch and evening meal each day
- All travel costs to and from selected universities
- All cultural activities and heritage visits
- All workshops, guidance and personal development activities
- Up to 10 hours of individual/group sessions including daily de-briefing session
- A three course college banquet on the final evening
The price does not include flights/travel or medical insurance.