Date of Publication: 04 May 2019
The summer programmes at Oxford Summer Courses are fast approaching, with our first courses starting in less than three months time.
Ahead of the excitement and anticipation for your summer with us, it’s time to start thinking about what to bring with you when you arrive on course. That’s why we’ve compiled a handy packing list of essential and non-essential items which you’ll need for an epic summer.
- Day to day: Comfortable and casual clothes. You’ll be doing lots of exploring around your course location, as well as visiting interesting places here in the UK during your day trips. It’s important to experience this in comfort. A pair of good walking shoes is a must.
- Weather protection – English summer demands both an umbrella, and sun protection cream, sun hat and of course, a pair Aviators.
- Sports Activities: We love heading out into the parks in the sunshine, so make sure you bring something comfortable to wear whilst taking part in sports games.
- Graduation: It’s your time to dress up! Bring something formal/smart to wear on your special day.
- Juniors: Note: If you’re attending our junior program, please also bring an item of swimwear with you.
- A laptop: This is essential for completing any assigned work (such as essay writing), and to conduct research – but don’t forget the charger!
- A notepad: An essential to jot things down quickly when in the classroom.
- Stationery: Pens, pencils and rulers etc.
- ID Document (i.e. passport): You will need your passport if you are travelling from overseas to the UK. We will collect this from you at the start of the course, to ensure that it is looked after. We will use this to verify your identity ahead of the programme.
- Other travel documents – You may also need a visa, please check on the UK visa government website. As Oxford Summer Courses is accredited by the British Accreditation Council as a short course provider, please apply for a Short-term Study Visa. You can apply for this visa 90 days before your arrival and we will send supporting letters to all students that need it 100 days before the course start date.
- A mobile phone: This is important for us to contact you during free time & day trips. It also gives you the chance to maintain contact with your friends and family at home. Whilst you will not be able to use your phone during class time, there will be opportunities to reconnect throughout the day.
- Essential toiletries: Sun cream, toothbrush & toothpaste, shower gel & anything else that you might need.
- Medication: You’ll also need to let us know what you intend to bring ahead of arrival. We’ll be sending out a key information form closer to the start of your course in order to collect this data.
- A day bag: Necessary to carry water and lunch during day trips, as well as anything else you may need to bring with you.
- A camera: Our wonderful team will be on hand to capture the most important parts of your summer, but we love to see the courses from your point of view too. Be sure to tag us in your snaps with @oxfordsummercourses so we can feature them!
- Scrapbook/journal: Why not document your trip? You might wish to write about the course you’re studying, the friends you’ve made, and keep a record of any tickets.
- A book/something to read: For when you have a little downtime.
**Please note: Towels and bed linen are provided. Also, emergency buys can be done with ease as the University colleges are located in the city centre, so do not panic if you manage to forget something.**
We’ve told you what to bring, but what will you take away?
We’re certain that the memories you’ll make, the knowledge you’ll gain, and the friends you’ll encounter from all corners of the globe during the summer will stay with you forever.
If you’re unsure of what else you might need to bring with you for your oxford summer school, or have any other queries, please contact us at email@example.com